Tuesday 2 March 2010

What to say when you're having electrolysis...

About two or three times a year I wake up with a terrible pain in my neck so I am unable to turn my head.  Today is one of the 'neck' days and it's a doozy.


Today is also an electrolysis day.  I rather hope the two pains will cancel each other out - and there is indeed some interplay between them as laying on the couch in the electrolysis place does in fact greatly help with the pain in my gregory.


(This evening I take two Solpadol.  Codeine rocks.)


Anywho - electrolysis.  I have been having facial hair removal treatment of one kind of another for about a year now.  First it was laser - which is like an elastic band snapping on your face.  It's not altogether permanent but reduces the hair greatly.  And you don't have to have grown any hair for it to work.


When you have electrolysis you do have to have some hair there for them to tweezer out, so I have to not shave a bit of my face for a day.  Which is shit.


It's a weird thing - sometimes it really hurts, sometimes it swells up and goes spotty afterwards, sometimes it's fine.  Today is a good one, but maybe just because of the pillow under my ailing neck.  I am happy to let Amy (the electrolysis lady) tweezer me with gay abandon in exchange for the blessed relief.


While an electric current is zapped down into several of my facial hair roots and the offending articles are yanked out of my face, Amy engages me in light conversation.  She is kind and considerate.  She is sympathetic.  It is rather difficult to answer questions when you feel you really ought to keep your face still.


I smile, I go 'mmm'.  It's quite difficult to answer the sort of questions I get asked with a smile and an 'mmm' but I give it a good try.


Afterwards she patches me up with mineral makeup and I take my hot tingly face back to work.


Tomorrow I will be able to shave the patches of hair under my nose and on my chin (none on my cheeks - testosterone relented there) and, with makeup, there will be nought but a passing shadow.


It's worth twenty-eight quid for that and a rested neck.







No comments:

Post a Comment