Monday 8 March 2010

Real Life...



I watched an interesting program on channel 4 about the 'real life' magazines which fill the newsagent's shelves these days : That's Life, Chat, I Can't Believe This Shit... etc...


Of course one of the people featured who'd sold their story to such a publication was a trans-woman.  These magazines eat us for dinner - they love us.  It seems amazing to me that something can be socially accepted enough as a phenomena to be legislated for in the law and yet be freakish enough, in itself, to warrant the attention of these mags.


My husband wore the wedding dress on our wedding day...


So fucking what??


The poor lady on the program in question was shown the mag she appeared in for the first time (having never seen it before).  She was so upset - it was really horrible for her to see the tawdry way in which her story had been treated.  But how come she was surprised really?


I honestly think these mags make the TG women look as bad as possible in photos  (see above example of what most of them look like).  I have seen a few exceptions but they're rare.  It's just an exercise in giving people something to gawp at.


And the stories are played out in the same old way - the same motifs appear time and time again.  Who is still interested in this??


And more to the point - who's to blame?   Surely we, in the TG community, are to blame for our own treatment in this - because we're the fucking numpties who keep queuing up for this treatment.


We've got to stop doing this to ourselves.  It's not going to help - it's not going to improve things or raise awareness.  The best way to do that is to get out there and live life normally - not join the freakshow.


Personally, I'll tell people on Facebook what I think - that's my public outlet if you like - but I'm in control and I'm not selling my soul.


You won't be seeing me and Becca grinning out from the pages of Take a Fucking Break under the sickly yellow headline :  MY HUSBAND LOOKS BETTER IN A DRESS THAN ME.



No fucking way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment