Sunday 18 April 2010

Wedding Dress Blog


I can't decide if this dress is awesome or awful...!  I think the former, probably.


OK, wedding dresses.  Or bridesmaids dresses.  The ultimate expression of femininity maybe?  Or shouldn't that be a big pregnant tummy or something else more obviously empowering?


I don't know - I like wedding dresses anyway.  Most girls dream about the day they get to wear one - and girls who start off as boys are no exception.  Maybe they dream about it even more.


I guess if you're a boy aged about 13 and you are finding yourself dreaming about stuff like wearing a wedding dress it's a pretty good sign that something is 'wrong'.  That's 'wrong' in inverted commas because it's not really wrong is it?  Feels right enough to me.


When I was about that age I got the chance to (furtively) try on a bridesmaids dress.  It was light blue - that's about all I can remember.   It did feel pretty amazing.  When you think I'd probably been wearing a boy's school uniform earlier in the same day, the contrast was invigorating.


A few years before I'd been a page boy at my brother's wedding.  I was nine I think - it was before the hormones kicked in and I wasn't thinking about being a girl at that stage.  I'm not going to do that whole 'I knew I was a girl from the moment I was born' shtick.  A few years later and, oh yes, I wanted to be a bridesmaid alright.


Quite a while after that I told my sister in law about it and she said I could have been a bridesmaid if I'd wanted.  Which I probably wouldn't have wanted at the time, I don't know.  It pissed me off anyway that I'd missed my chance.


In the end I did try on a wedding dress - Becca bought one on ebay for the material and, yeah, of course I tried it on.   It was pretty good.  Then I took it off because it felt a bit odd to be standing there in the living room wearing a wedding dress for no apparent reason.  And Becca chopped it up with a big pair of scissors.


Your 'trannies' like to dress up as brides - some of them go as far as to dress up in full bridal gear and have wedding pictures taken of themselves on the threshold of the church.  They put captions underneath like 'any husband would be proud of this blushing bride...'


And to think I felt odd after five minutes when I tried on that wedding dress.  They're probably men in grey suits the rest of the time - executives and managers and directors... then they are a bride for a day.  It's beautiful really - shame they have to hide it so much.  Bless.


I'm too old to be a bridesmaid now - or a blushing bride.  Becca and I are already married anyway - and we've decided not to go the whole hog over our civil partnership when that happens.  I'd feel daft in a wedding dress now anyway.


Next wedding I go to I'll just wear a fab dress - not a bridesmaid or bride's one - just something...fab.  That'll be more than enough for me.

















1 comment:

  1. This is a nice wedding blog. The wedding dresses are of the different varieties and companies. But the
    Large Size Wedding Dresses
    are the best and they are available in different colors. The whitish is the best of all the colors.

    ReplyDelete