Friday 2 April 2010

Gloria is gone...


Can you guess what this flag is ?


...I don't know how many trans people there are in this country - I think I read somewhere it was one in every 4000.  So the chances of two working in a fairly small organisation like Maidstone Borough Council aren't that high.


Nevertheless - that did happen as Gloria and myself both worked there till she left last week.  I was pretty sad about that because it felt different not being the only one - and Gloria, being a few years down the line of treatment from where I am, was proof positive of how it can work.  


It was weird when I found out there was another one of 'us' - at first it was bit threatening I suppose.  I was curious of course - and annoyed to hear some people make stupid arsed comments.  Well I say people, actually men (ha ha).


When she started working with us four years ago I was less sure of where I was going, so it was quite important to me to meet another trans person (for the first time, believe it or not).  I suppose knowing her did influence me - did show me what was possible.


Strange how you want to talk about stuff but don't know whether you should mention 'it'.  Very British!  So we 'skirted' around the issue (no pun intended) but in the end we did talk about being trans - which I am glad about.


She asked me how my family were taking it - and I could see she looked a little bit sad when I said things were going quite well there - because I know she hasn't been so lucky.  It's tough - I can't imagine how hard it must be without the support of family.


But as she said, well actually we said it at the same time I think,  'living any other way is not an option'.  


Anyway, that's it - now I'm the only trans person at MBC ... that we know of!!  Good luck Gloria.  That flag by the way is the Transgender Pride flag.  That's what I have when I think about Gloria - Transgender Pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment