Saturday 18 December 2010

Gender Recognition...


So, yes - got my interim gender recognition certificate and might be going on about that for a bit - sorry.


But then I have been dreaming of this for several years now - it means I am over the hurdle of having to prove myself, at least in legal terms.  I have done it - lived two years as a female  (two and a half years now) and provided all the necessary documentation to show it.


It's a huge sense of achievement and validation after all these years of feeling like a woman and having no evidence - physical or legal - for it.


So, just to explain, I would have got my full certificate now if I wasn't married - the interim cert just allows you to dissolve your marriage.  It's a pain in the arse but the law is that two people of the same sex cannot be 'married' - so you have to dissolve the marriage first.


Two people of the same sex can be civil partners of course - which is exactly the same as being married - so the whole thing is stupid really.  It's just what you call it.


There is provision in the Gender Recognition Act (2004) for married people to go through this process on the same day - so hopefully me and Becca won't be unmarried for longer than a few hours.  I'm not quite sure how it will work in practice though - I've been too busy just trying to get to this point to find out!


They have sent me some notes but it's all pretty legal and complicated.  First thing will be to ring the registry office and see what they have to say - they should be able to give more advice.


I have met a trans-woman who got the interim cert but has never gone through with the full process because she and her wife don't agree with the discrimination inherent in civil partnerships.  I really admired her stand but I want to go 'the whole way' and thankfully Becca is supporting me.


It makes a huge difference - once I get the full certificate my birth certificate will be changed to say 'female'.  So it's like they originally wrote it down wrong and the whole thing is being corrected - which is how trans-people feel really.


Then I am female for all purposes and it would be illegal to discriminate against me - I will have all the legal rights and responsibilities of what the law calls my 'acquired gender'.  If I apply for a new job I will have no requirement to disclose my original gender and if my employer did that they would be breaking the law.


I will never again have to remotely sweat about using a changing room or a ladies toilet - not that I've ever had any trouble with those things but it'll be good to know.


My car insurance will go down - really!


And I would be able to marry a man - although I am sticking with Becca of course!


My P60 and passport and all that stuff will say 'female'... I will be done and dusted.  ON PAPER.


Then it's just a matter of getting the rest of me sorted out.


So, not there yet - much still to do.  This is only the end of the beginning and the start of the rest, if you get me.


Happy though.  Very happy. 
























































No comments:

Post a Comment