Wednesday 4 August 2010

WAAAAHHHH !!!


I read something about films that make men cry - unsurprisingly they are pretty similar to films that make women cry!   What a daft thing.


Most men these days don't mind shedding a little tear do they?  
It's a shame if they don't have a little cry - come on boys, we love it when you get emotional!  


Like 'The Railway Children' -  there are several crying flashpoints for me throughout the whole film :  Perks's birthday, Bobbie's birthday, the bit when they get medals for saving the train... just all of it really!


But, come on, you'd have to have a heart made of polystyrene to not cry at the end.  It's so perfectly done - the way Jenny Agutter dreamily drifts out of the house and down to the station... the music is equally dream-like... the smoke surrounds her... it clears... then she says it, in her breathy gasp : 


'Daddy... my Daddy!'


Of course you cry because you can hear the emotion in her voice - the way it catches.  Actually I might cry now thinking about it!


Another film that made me not just cry but sob was 'This is England'.  When the little boy at the end throws the union flag into the sea - it was such a powerful moment.  He had been so let down by the concept of nationhood - and throwing that flag away was so sad because he was throwing away everything good about being British.  Everything that had been polluted for him.


I dunno - it just really got to me.


Let me see - what other films?   I managed to hold it together during Toy Story 3 at the cinema.  Clever girl.  But most of those disney / pixar type films have weepy bits.  Oh yes - 'Up' of course... another film that doesn't save its weepy moments till the end but stuffs the whole story with them!


The 'Feed the Birds' song from Mary Poppins.   'Truly, Madly, Deeply' of course.


Doctor Who - that'll make you cry quite a bit these days.  Especially the one with the little boy who asks 'are you my mummy'... glub.


hmmmm...


Life is Beautiful
The Chorus
Ma Vie En Rose   (for obvious reasons - it's about a boy who wants to be a girl)
Dead Poet's Society
Notting Hill


I could go on and on - so many films make me cry.  Whereas I often don't cry at things in real life.  Shame because I love a really good cry - there's nothing like it is there?  It's a wonderful, transcendent thing.


So, better put on 'The Railway Children' again.  You know, I think that is my favourite film for a really good cry... 








































No comments:

Post a Comment