Sunday 26 September 2010

Comics...



...or 'graphic novels', yada yada.


I picked up a copy of 'Kick Ass' in the bookshop today and read it this afternoon. It was good, yeah.  Very violent and funny and clever.  It's a kind of meta-comic - the young guy in it wonders at the beginning why people in real life never try to become superheroes.  Then he decides to actually become one, in real life.  Except it's not real life - it IS a comic book.  


There's lot of little references in there like when he says 'this is Kick Ass no fucking more' - referring to that Spider Man story where he famously chucked his costume in the bin.


I have been tentatively exploring the world of 'graphic novels' in recent years.  I loved comics when I was a kid - especially Marvel.  Not so much DC - I hated all that parallel world shit that went on - it was far too confusing.


I suppose it's a cliche but superheroes really do appeal to weak, weedy little nerdy kids.  It's obvious why.  Take Spider Man for example - he really IS a weedy nerdy kid, but his secret powers make us feel more powerful somehow, like we might just be the same.


I often get picked on by teenagers in the street - of course part of me would love to do some awesome karate moves and kick the shit out of them.  That post-orgasmic moment when the hero stands over the bloodied bodies, panting.  I could be 'Tran Girl' or something.  This actually does sound like a post-modern graphic novel doesn't it?


You can't really understand the 20th Century mentality without Superheroes.  They represent the ultimate fulfilment of egoism and self-realisation.  When Nietzsche spoke of 'The Superman' he was referring to a perfect philosophical being, one who is ultimately self aware - not a guy with his underpants on the outside.  But maybe there is a connection.  Just a vague notion of being more than human.  Certainly 'becoming' is an important element.  Realising.


Anything you love when you're a child you love when you're an adult - no matter what else happens.  It's a wonderful thing to give in to that and never be ashamed - to revel in the things that made you who you are.


So, you will see me reading Proust and you will see me discussing my latest handbag purchase (grape, lots of compartments, elegant) - but you might ALSO see me discussing superheroes with the nerds... and you might also count me among their number.


After I read the graphic novel 'Watchmen' I went to see the film ON MY OWN because I couldn't find anyone else to go with - how sad is that?


Er... not sad at all actually because I fucking loved it and I was very, very happy.























No comments:

Post a Comment